May is Mental Health Awareness Month and this episode is more like a candid conversation about reducing the stigma around mental illness. I’ve had my own journey with my mental health and it has been paved with a lot of courage, vulnerability, and acceptance. Not only do I share key statistics, but I also share a bit of my story, along with some ways that we can all collectively break the stigma around mental illness.
Ultimately, reducing the stigma around mental illness is a collective effort from individuals, communities, and the world at large.
Here are the key takeaways:
- Mental health is just as important as physical health.
- The stigma around mental health and mental illness needs to be addressed before strategies can be discussed.
- One in four people in the world will be affected by mental or neurological disorders at some point in their lives.
- 48% of respondents in the United States feel embarrassed to admit they need help with their mental health.
- It’s important to encourage open conversations, educate oneself and others, use inclusive language, support mental health initiatives, and seek help and support.
- Reducing the stigma around mental health requires a collective effort from individuals, communities, and the world at large.
Here are 5 ways that you can help break the stigma around mental illness:
- Encourage open conversations and create safe spaces for discussion around mental health.
- Educate yourself and others about mental health by reading books or articles, attending workshops or podcasts, and changing myths and conceptions surrounding mental health.
- Use inclusive language to shape attitudes around mental health.
- Support mental health initiatives by contributing financially, using your platform, donating your time or services or products, or attending workshops and classes.
- Seek help and support for your own mental health by checking in with yourself and seeing how you’re feeling and what you need.
- Book a free connection call – In this 30-minute call, you will get a chance to connect with Allison Tibbs and get your specific questions answered and walk away with a key strategy that you can implement to support your physical and mental health. Click here.
- Stress-Free Success for Professional Women Guide – Free resource to help professional women with busy schedules and demanding roles & responsibilities reduce stress, prevent burnout, and increase productivity. Click Here
About Allison Tibbs
Allison Tibbs is a certified Healthy Lifestyle Coach & Corporate Wellness Strategist, as well as an International Speaker and Best Selling Author, who is in the business of helping female executives, entrepreneurs, and leaders achieve a better quality of life.
Her passion for helping women prioritize their physical and mental health stemmed from her own struggles with depression, anxiety, and burnout. She leads by example and pays it forward through her coaching, training, and speaking business – Nourished Life Coaching & Consulting.